Do you feel overwhelmed?
Are you having difficulty finding balance in your life?
Does the lack of time, money or energy prevent you from pampering yourself?
I’m just like you—a busy mom, business owner, counselor/coach, writer and professor. I’m lucky to find the time to take my own advice on most days! So I thought I’d share some of the things that help me to simplify life, gain perspective and decompress. The best part about the following suggestions is that they take little or no time, money or effort.
- Take a walk.
- Dance to your favorite song with reckless abandon.
- Treat yourself to a warm, soothing bath, and don’t forget to add your favorite fragrant oils.
- Take a moment to pay attention to your breathing.
- Decorate your home or office with fresh flowers.
- Listen to the world around you (you’ll be surprised at what you often miss).
- Meditate, pray or engage in other activities that relax you and help you center your thoughts.
- Call a good friend and chat.
- Read a book for fun.
- Eat slowly and really taste your food.
- Warm your hands around a great cup of coffee or tea.
- Stop and smell the roses (literally).
- Sleep in one morning.
- Watch the sun rise or set.
- Enjoy the feel of the sun, wind or rain on your skin.
- Treat yourself to some comfort food.
- Watch your favorite movie.
- Get in touch with your inner artist and draw (doodling can be very calming).
- Do yoga, tai chi, or other exercises to stretch your neck and back.
- Take the long way home and enjoy the scenery.
- Listen to your favorite music and sing along.
- Try a new food.
- Do a little journaling.
- Get a pedicure or manicure.
I encourage you to incorporate one or more of these simple acts into your daily routine. I’m confident that they will recharge your mind, body and spirit. Be well!