I know that I can always count on Shop Girl to let me know when my false sense of cuteness has gotten the better of me, and it’s time to do a little style recon, which she did earlier this week.
She was in town on business, so we decided to meet for an early dinner and an evening of relaxing and catching up. I was excited to wear my new jeans, sunshine-yellow leather jacket and gorgeous new sandals.
I was feeling oh-so-chic and stylish as I swanned into the restaurant and spotted Shop Girl sitting at a banquette by the window. I glided over to do the whole “Darling-you-look-fabulous-it’s-so-good-to-see-you-again!” air-kiss-kiss thing.
Shop Girl gave me a quick and mighty hug, then held me at arm’s length and said, “Sweetie, you know I love you and I’m only telling you this for your own good…you look like a sausage topped with mustard.”
She was brutally honest, as always. I guess my first clue should have been the fact that I couldn’t do up the top button on my jeans, not to mention my inability to actually sit down without splitting the seams…looks like it’s definitely time to dust off my trainers and hit the gym!
After that little wake-up call, Shop Girl and I quickly settled into our usual routine of consuming goodies, constructive gossip and deconstructing fashion.
So here’s a little list of what to be on the lookout for to make your mark as a style maven this year:
- Show your patriotism! With one of the most anticipated inaugurations in history occurring in less than a week, now is the time to bump up your patriotic style.You choose the level: from a chic and simple graphic tee, figure friendly denim, and fun heels, to the actual Inaugural Ball gown (if you are lucky enough to attend one!) complete with killer accessories and a pair of to-die-for skyscrapers Personally, I am going to do a little patriotic accessorizing. Apparently my invitation to the ball got lost in the mail…sigh…
- It’s a 10. This is my go-to hair care line for the upcoming year. I have been using these products for the past several months and I adore the way they make my hair look and feel. Best source: www.aveyou.com.
- Wedge pumps One of this springs hot looks. The thing I love about wedges is they are much easier to walk in, and I can go sky-high and not have to worry about falling over! Your weight is more evenly distributed so you should be safe in a pair of gorgeous wedge heels.
- Convertible jewelry. The perfect way to stretch your accessory budget. Belts become necklaces… become chokers… become multi-wrap bracelets! The best source I have found is www.twisted-silver.com.Not only do they have great convertible pieces, but they have fabulous earrings and awesome rings as well. I love the mix of metals. Most of the designs are easily interchangeable and adaptable.
- Boyfriend jeans and distressed denim. You’ve seen them on the celebs, on the screen and in all the glossy mags. Boyfriend jeans look best when worn with a rolled cuff — it offsets the slouchiness. Distressed denim is a bit more casual – more of a weekend look.
- Incredibly sexy heels. Black and strappy – can be worn with anything and everything.
- Slouchy/slinky dress in a clingy fabric. The dress skims over the body yet clings in all the right places. Perfection… Also very comfy
- One absolutely spectacular handbag. My one splurge purchase of the season, so I am going to make it worthwhile! Unless, of course, I find some really great sales — then I’ll snap up a couple!!!
Well, girly girls, I think that’s enough to keep us busy for a couple of days! Shop happy darlings!
About the Author
Carla Laney is the executive editor and co-owner of She She Me (www.shesheme.com), the popular online fashion e-zine.