by Julea Joseph
The kitchen is the heart of any home. It is the room where everyone always seems to congregate.
With the major holiday season fast approaching, now is a great time to get your kitchen “party-ready” and organized for the holiday rush. Start by making updates to complement the season:
- Walls: For acolor lift, paint one or more walls in a seasonal color. Benjamin Moore’s Toasted Pecan #1209 or Burnt Sienna #1196 or Sherwin William’s Library Pewter SW0038 or Studio Blue-Green SW0047, are excellent choices.
- Counter Tops: Swap out that tired canister set with one of the newer versions available. Use them for food storage or, if you prefer, to store pens, notepads, takeout menus, etc. Display large decorative platters on plate stands to fill unused counter space or group plates in a wall arrangement above the counter. Purchase new dish towels, candles, or a hand soap/lotion set in colors and scents of spiced apple, pumpkin or caramel.
- Floral Arrangements. Use flowers to add seasonal flair to any table. Create a mini-container garden by grouping abundant amounts of mini-annuals and petite ivy, or design a bountiful arrangement with faux fall vegetables, dried pods, leaves and vines.
- Cabinets and Shelving. Place oversized, seasonally-inspired platters, framed art or decorative garden items to fill space on top of cabinets and shelves.
- Organization: Create stations designated for specific purposes. Love to bake? Set aside cabinet and counter space near the oven to store pans, small appliances, ingredients and other baking essentials.
- Butler’s Pantry: Convert your little used desk area into a butler’s pantry. Replace the wood panels of cabinets with glass panels, add lighting and glass shelves to store glasses and decorative bottles. Line desk drawers with felt to hold bar essentials and serving pieces. Add a tension rod with shirred fabric to close off the knee space of the desk. Store a rolling cart in this hidden area.
- Lazy Susan: Use a Lazy Susan to create a compact “party pantry.” Store food, beverages, paper goods, china and other entertaining essentials for that last minute soirée. Convert unused kitchen closet space to create a larger pantry to store linens, vases and other décor.
Give your kitchen a seasonal boost. You’ll be more than ready for entertaining family and friends during the holidays.
Interior stylist Julea Joseph specializes in room redesigns. Her work and design philosophy have been featured on HGTV and in numerous publications. Julea can be reached at 708-448-7500 or www.julea.com.